Monday, July 8, 2019

I've Said It Before and I'll Say It Again...

Last night I was on my walk listening to a podcast about moving forward. I know, I know - one of our favorite topics. To reiterate, it was about moving forward and not moving on, which is the phrase we really hate, right?

They interviewed a woman who had PTSD after serving on a jury that sent a man to death row. They interviewed a woman who was diagnosed with leukemia at 22. And they interviewed a widow.

The widow they interviewed did a great job - she provided lots of valuable insight that I agreed with and said what we all think: It doesn't matter how long it's been. We move forward with our late spouses not from them.

I loved how she said that when she remarried a year and a half after her husband passed, it felt like her entire social circle breathed a sigh of relief like, "Thank God that's over" - as if by remarrying that meant she was done with being a widow. I get what she's saying because I often feel like people would feel the same relief if I remarried as well.

But I haven't. And that's what I want to talk about.

It seems like every interview and most books and articles about widows end with them being in a new relationship - like that's the only way someone who has experienced loss will get their happy ending.

I feel like that implies that the rest of us are just dangling out there doing nothing and that we will never be able to wrap our lives up in a tidy little package like everyone else. "Chapter 2" implies a new relationship. So, that must mean a large percentage of us will never get past Chapter 1.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT.

This month marks my 13th year as a widow. I have had two "serious" relationships during that time. When the second one ended, I decided there was more to my life than just looking for a relationship. It was hard figuring out how to be on my own, but let's face it - being in a relationship is hard. Being happy on your own requires a lot of adjustments, creativity, and effort but it's been my experience that it's worth it - if that's what you choose.

I am in no way judging anyone who moves into a new relationship after losing a spouse or partner, no matter the timing or the circumstances. I'm just so tired of our community only being represented by people who are remarried. Just because I haven't moved forward with someone doesn't mean I haven't moved forward. It doesn't mean I don't have a full life with meaningful relationships, doing things I love to do.

Companionship is wonderful and who knows? Maybe I'll look for it at some point. But my ability to lead a happy life has nothing to do with who occupies the passenger side of my bed.

Incidentally - that's my dog Max right now.



7 comments:

  1. It's my 13th year too - and it doesn't get any easier. Sending a virtual hug <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is why I loved your book! Some books I read ended with a “ Chapter Two” and then all was well. That didn’t and most likely will never apply to me. So as I got closer to the end of your book I remember hoping that yours didn’t end that way, not because it is a bad thing, but because it would not apply to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your book and like you I have not remarried. I'm perfectly happy to not be in a "new" relationship. I'm moving forward with my life and not sitting in grief all the time but when it does "hit" I step back and let the pain flow till it's done. I miss my husband everyday and yes I understand he's not coming back. Life is a journey not a destination so with that I'm on a journey living my life in my fashion, not according to how anyone else thinks I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 11th year. It was hard enough to find the best hiking partner in the world- And that is okay. Sending a virtual hug to you- (nothing will ever replace a "husband hug" tho')

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tenth year. Happy to live alone, very content!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am almost 5 years as a widow. I have not looked to date anyone, nor do I care to. I am happy just being alone, with my dog and cat and family and friends. I had my soul mate in my husband and I love him still. There will never be another in my life and I am good with that. I support my widow sisters in whatever they choose for themselves. We are all different and as long as they are happy, I am happy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Ogudugu can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr.Ogudugu. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail:

    greatogudugu@gmail.com

    WhatsApp +2348063739701

    ReplyDelete