Monday, October 2, 2017

I'm sorry, but your prayers just aren't enough anymore.



It's late and I need to go to bed. Instead I'm sitting here writing a blog that I'm fairly certain might cause me to lose a few friends. But here I go.

Today is October 2nd, 2017. Last night, as I read peacefully in my bed, many people were living a hellish nightmare at a concert in Las Vegas as America experienced another shooting. I had no idea what had happened until I checked my Facebook page this morning and was greeted with "Prayers for Vegas." I immediately groaned and checked the news.

There I found what many Americans already knew - there had been yet another senseless act of violence that took the lives of innocent people and altered the lives of countless others. I watched about 5 minutes, turned on classical music, buried myself in my work, and tuned out the best I could.

This afternoon, I allowed myself to check social media one more time. And this is the part where, if you're a friend and you're offended by what I'm about to write...I'm sorry. But I just can't help it.

I can no longer stand to see the countless graphics that circulate after something like this happens that say "Pray for..." and then name the tragedy. I just can't.

It's become so common now, it doesn't even make a dent anymore. People post that once, change the colors on their profile pictures for a few days, and then move on. And I'm aggravated.

I've kept this to myself all day because I felt sure that what people would think that I'm upset about is the fact that people are praying. That's not the case AT ALL. In fact, I'm envious of the people who have deep faith that they can turn to in times of crises. I'm just so sick of the fact that it seems like posting something like that on social media is in ANY WAY going to do anything.

Yes, I know it's a show of support. Sort of. But it's not action.

My 11-year-old daughter hopped into the car after school today and immediately unleashed her aggravation about what I'd been struggling with all day.

"I HATE all of these things on social media about people praying!" she vented. I looked at her in disbelief and gratitude for the fact that she was brave enough to say what I'd been thinking. "REALLY??? Something like this happens and you post an emoji?????" she continued. "How does that help??"

There is an old saying that I think suits what I'm feeling perfectly: “Pray as if everything depends on God, work as if everything depends on you.”

If prayer is what helps you through a crises, then I envy you that spiritual support. I believe that prayer - in whatever form it takes for you - is something personal.

But before you seek out a graphic that perfectly encapsolates what you're feeling so that you can make sure EVERYONE on social media knows about it...

...ask yourself if that time couldn't be better spent calling your congressman about gun rights or seeking ways to help make this STOP.

Pray. AND ACT.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I am a Christian and I do pray, but I rarely participate in announcing it on social media.
    I felt this SO often as a new widow. You can pray all you want for me, but what I needed was someone in human form. I needed a hug. I needed to know what to do next. I needed a friend to drive 50 miles east to the place that used to feel like home and have that cup of coffee with me, to mention Mike's name, to help me sort out what might be new options of this thing called life after death.
    A few friends came did this. They came out and helped me paint and spiffy up some rooms and share their memories of working with Mike. I laughed and cried and expressed to them how very grateful I was that they acted on their hunches that I needed help in physical form.
    I believe prayer works, but prayer with friends in the flesh works a whole lot more for me.
    Bless you, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete